Back when I posted about Varouj, several people recommended that I go try Onno, another Armenian restaurant in Bourj Hammoud, and I totally regret not doing so until lately as I found it really fantastic!
The restaurant is located right underneath the bridge that connects Achrafieh to Dekweneh facing Life Center, and it is quite small and cozy with a few tables that fit around 20 people I guess. So don’t go there expecting something fancy, as the focus there is the food, which is cooked by the family who owns the place.
We ordered the following: Basterma with quail egg, two pieces of soubereg, cherry kebab, batata harra, mouhammara, soujouk, and two soft drinks.
The portions were pretty generous and tasted quite good as well, I especially loved the cherry kebab and basterma since it was the first time for me to try it with quail eggs. And the best part had to be the bill, which came at 55,000 L.L for everything we ordered,which is less than half what you would pay at other places like Mayrig or Mayas, for much more authentic Armenian food in my opinion.
Needless to say, Onno is totally recommended, and I’m planning to go again soon to try the other stuff they have like manti, quails, and frog legs. Check below what Alain Bourdain had to say about it in his travel and food show No Reservations back in 2011.
For those who are interested, Onno’s phone number is 03 801 476.
A total of 47 short films from 21 different countries will be presented to the public during this three day event, with free entrance for everyone. The festival program is available here if you’re interested.
The below photo has been going viral on Facebook and was originally posted by someone called “Alexandra Shakked” earlier this morning.
The Lebanese writer Rachid Al-Daif forcefully raped and manipulated his student in the Lebanese American University (LAU) in Beirut for four years, starting when he was 62 and she was 19. He locked her in his house and demanded sex from her at night, even raping her in her sleep. He threatened her in order to keep it a secret. This January, the rapist resigner before being shamefully fired from LAU when the university administration learned about his actions.
I’m not sure how true the story is, but something definitely doesn’t sound right to me, how exactly did he manage to lock her in his house for four years?
Professor Rachid El Daif posted the below reply on his Facebook page. It was never clear however what kind of affair was going between the two.
Alexandra Shreiteh’s False Rape Accusations
Alexandra has published her fabricated allegations against me on facebook and other sites on the internet. Kindly see below my response:
- Since I was certain of Alexandra’s academic and creative capabilities, I gave her a great deal of time and supervised three of her novels: 2 in Arabic and one in English. My motto was to work with talented beginners and help them produce their own works of fiction.
- I was the one who encouraged her to pursue her studies and I wrote her a letter of recommendation to Yale University which is still in my possession. I do not understand how one encourages a person to study abroad, and controls and confines this same person at the same time.
- She sent me the paper she had prepared for a conference in Switzerland (April 2012) and we discussed it at length on Skype.
- This woman used to call me every day over the period of 4 years, yes every single day to talk about her problems. I used to help her to the best of my abilities. She used to call me daily from America (and Germany) to ask questions or talk about her problems. This went on for four years, summer and winter, day and night. I always thought this was a passing phase related to growing up that will soon subside. I was sincerely happy to think that she would excel in her work and that I would be one of those who contributed to her success especially after she had written her three novels.
- She told me that she was having a relation with a woman and asked my opinion of this. My answer was: You are free to realize yourself the way you think fit.
- She told me several times on the phone after a few months of her relation that her companion is so possessive and is almost suffocating her and that she does not know how to free herself of her.
- She also used to tell me of her relations with men and women (I still remember the names and nationalities). She considered me as her confidante and her counselor.
- I wonder what has happened and why she is lying. Why is she falsifying the truth? Why has she showered all terms related to rape on me (she is Lebanon’s champion in Tai Boxing)? I have a documented answer to be published at the right time.
- I am sorry that it has come to this. Alexandra is in trouble, but her harassment has become unbearable. I have so far refrained from responding to her accusations because I am sorry for her parents and would have liked to spare them. I so much wanted to meet them but she refused to introduce me as she hated them to the death. She also alleged certain things about her father that is improper for me to mention now.
- I have asked a lawyer to raise a case against her for libel and defamation because certain innocent people may believe her allegations especially that she pretends to be a lamb in the claws of a wild animal.
- I still have all the electronic messages that she sent me over the four-year period and will publish them in due time whenever the need arises.
- Finally, there are a large number of documents, letters, photographs in my possession that can also be published if needed.
This banner draped over St. George Hotel must be pissing Solidere off so much. They now threaten legal actions against media people who publish photos showing “Stop Solidere” in them when covering some event at Zaitunay Bay!
Fadi Khoury, owner of St. George, is probably the only man who dared to stand against Solidere and their malpractices on the waterfront, who in their turn blocked the hotel’s access to the sea.
waiver form via Beirutiyat
Looks like Hamra is soon getting a new cinema, “Prime on Bliss”, facing AUB in Bliss street. The website and Facebook page have no further details such as the numbers of screens that will be available, except that they’re opening this month.
A fight broke out today following the game between Nejmeh and Akhaa Aley in Bhamdoun. I’m talking a wild guess that politics must have something to do with it!
That’s another proof why Lebanese Football is a big fail.
Photos via Nejmeh Sporting Club’s page on Facebook.
Here’s a video of the fight posted by Al Jadeed.
- chantal on Onno Restaurant – Bourj Hammoud
- Rami on Onno Restaurant – Bourj Hammoud
- Onno Restaurant – Bourj Hammoud | +961 on Varouj Restaurant – Bourj Hammoud
- Sareen on Onno Restaurant – Bourj Hammoud
- Pierre on Aboul Ghadab got it right
- Riham on Connecting Lebanon to Cyprus with a bridge
- Rami on LAU professor accused of raping his student?
- Templar on LAU professor accused of raping his student?
- Anonymous on Solidere pissed at St George’s banner
- Gus on LAU professor accused of raping his student?
- @manalhamwi I hope it all ends soon! @consumedlySaturday, 05.25.13 14:14
- @manalhamwi this one is quite rewarding for your taste buds! They also have great milkshakes at 12,000L.L (Ridiculous I know!)Saturday, 05.25.13 14:05
- @FarahSaati tastes even better! But the place is a bit overpriced in my opinion.Saturday, 05.25.13 14:00
- Baalchmay - mount #lebanon #livelivebeirut http://t.co/IjPAxrpR0qSaturday, 05.25.13 13:55
- The burger at Frosty Palace #food #lebanon http://t.co/Gd8DIAUD0CSaturday, 05.25.13 13:49