I never imagined I would use Twitter someday! The whole idea behind it was silly to me, and I was always like what’s the big deal about broadcasting to the world what did I have on lunch?! Facebook alone was enough, and it was becoming annoying with all the apps that my friends add and start spamming me with!
Early in May, I was thinking about a way to increase the traffic on this blog, so I thought of re-activating my account on Twitter and combine with Twitter Feed to automatically generate a tweet containing a link to any post I publish. So I was thinking of it as a marketing tool!
Few days later I was surprised to find much more active Lebanese users than I expected, and they were all tweeting about interesting stuff, though it was mostly about the parliamentary elections at that time, but still I found it interesting and entertaining. So I started engaging myself in the game and suddenly got addicted to it. For many reasons!
- It is NOT silly. Twitter is really different than Facebook’s status update, it’s on Facebook where you share silly stuff and the more you update your status the more you entertain your friends! Do the same on Twitter and your followers count will drop, no one wants his/her front page on twitter to be full of trash messages.
- It’s informative! Thanks to the URL shortening services, people can tweet about interesting links. They might not always contain valuable information, but I prefer to receive them instead of Facebook’s poker chips and silly quizzes
- You get to meet some seriously nice people there. In terms of privacy, Twitter is totally opposite to Facebook. In Facebook you are, most of the times, concerned about protecting your personal information and keeping strangers from having access to your profile. Where as on Twitter, strange people follow you and vice versa, and you will eventually make friends with those you reply to their messages frequently.
- Twitter users are the “elite” users of Facebook
- The great tweetups you attend every now and then. Twitleb is doing a great job gathering the Lebanese users, thanks to her we met at KUV Capital‘s office today!